I want to learn new and creative ways to come up with concept. Last time with Take on New Things 1 I wrote the concept rationale to explain why a concept is a good concept. This time I want to research different ways of brainstorming and see if the concept becomes better because of this. I will do this by applying the different ways I found in the research and applying them with the group in the right circumstances. I will document this brainstorm and evaluate if it helped us to create more creative concepts.
In the research, as seen above, I looked up different ways to do creative brainstorms. I prepared the arbitrary word brainstorm and organised that the brainstorm would be done in a new environment. In advance all the group members and me prepared ten concept ideas. We went to a café where none of us had been before so that our brain would be stimulated in the right way to be more creative.
We first went over the ten concepts everybody prepared. And found out that we had a lot of the same first ideas, like virtual reality and doing a game of the gameshow with the tv producers. This proved that it was a good exercise to prepare these concepts beforehand to get these first ideas out of our heads and make space for new and more original ideas.
After that we did the arbitrary word exercise. On the table was a bottle of balsamico vinegar so we used that as the word. We first wrote down all the proporties, associations, functions and memories we had with this subject.
Then we chose words that we wrote down with the association exercise. We then thought of ways that we could connect the ‘random’ word with Banknote Bingo. This gave us new ideas and concepts as seen beneath.
Some interesting ideas we came up with that we normally wouldn’t have thought of are for example the image that the vaults of the banks are empty because all the money is at home with the viewer watching banknote bingo or that a stripper wins a lot of money because of the ten euro she got in her panty and that we could send a pizza box to the tv producers with the instructions of the tv show to grab their interest.
After this brainstorm session we came up with our ten best concepts that can be read in our blog post of all the ideas. Two days after getting all our ideas on paper and writing them down in a document, we went over them with a fresh and new look. We then chose our ten best ideas and combined adjusted some ideas to make them into concepts.
- Time is money
- Watching the show = win/ gain.
- Showing scenarios of people who have cash and become rich with this in a commercial for the tv show. To grab their attention.
- A pizza deliverer receives cash and with this cash he becomes rich by winning money. – Send pizza to the producers with the explanation of the game in the box. – concept; Send all the tv producers something where the explanation of Banknote bingo is attached in a fun way. = commitment + consistency
- (Accidentally) Giving away your chance of winning money. (medium= Stripclub; strippers have cash in their panty’s and they can win money with this).
- Pilot Commercial. To explain the concept in a convincing way with a commercial.
- The vaults of banks are all empty because of the show. All the cash is in the homes of the people.
- Convincing the tv producers by showing that people like it (on the street). Act it out on the street with people who can win money = target audience. film this and show to tv producers that the people are already enthusiastic.
- Let the tv producers experience the show, as an audience or to be in the show. (Studio setup, make the show with live audience → invite the tv producers to you. or VR)
- Changing the value of money. (Create 2000 from a 20 euro banknote. Jesus is/or an illusionist) Banknotes with 4 digits on them
- Banknote bingo is a party
In conclusion, we found that this way of doing the creative brainstorm helped us to come up with new original and creative ideas and concepts.
What are creative ways to brainstorm?
To come up with better concepts I want to research different ways of brainstorming and chose the best ones to apply with the group.
- A brainstorm where everyone writes their ideas on little post its and sticks it on the big piece of paper lying the middle of the table.
- Making a word association map with a word in the middle of the paper and every one of the group receives a pen and writes down their associations with this word.
These brainstorms are known as ‘normal’ brainstorms. Where you simply think of ideas. The creative brainstorm techniques we learnt in the lateral thinking lessons are as followed.
In our lateral thinking class, we learnt different brainstorming techniques. It came down to two different techniques. One of thinking ‘inside the box’ and the other thinking ‘outside the box’. The thinking inside the box techniques were:
- 9 inbox tools
- remove – leave something out
- connect – combine it with something else
- divide – separate or divide
- activate – unused parts
- make dynamic – loosen/release fixed parts and fasten loose parts
- rearrange – rearrange parts or aspects
- different versions
By harvesting all the ideas, you get an overview of the different types of ideas. This will allow you to see new things and to determine what a concept is and what is a specific idea.
- Concepts – a concept is a principle behind an idea. It’s like an umbrella. Ideas that come from the same source. This concept leads to new ideas. Wonder which themes are to be found in the idea.
- Initial ideas – these are ideas that aren’t yet ready-to-go (and may be they never will) but they are different, valuable and/or interesting. An initial idea can be enriched later on to a usable idea. If the idea still need research to see if it’s possible it’s an initial idea.
- Specific ideas – these ideas are practical and directly applicable. By enriching they can even be made more fun or more appropriate.
enrich them ->
- Transform and/or adjust the situation or the idea
Use this in if there are too many restrictions, for instance if there is not enough money available. You will see to it that there is going to be more budget.)
- Enhance the idea
You use this if the idea has advantages but is not powerful enough to persuade the client. It can come in handy to figure out who are the parties concerned and make the idea better for them)
- Adjust minus points
An idea can also be more persuasive by adjusting flaws or weakness)
Outside the box thinking tools were the arbitrary word starting point exercise where you ask someone (or do it yourself) pick a random word. And then write down all the associations, functions, characterizations and memories you can think of with that word. You can have a piece of paper with a lot more words than that you started with. With the words, you wrote down with the associations, functions, characterizations and memories you can than connect back you the problem focus you have at hand. This way you might think of completely new words and connections that would have never occurred to you in the first place.
Universal Methods of Design
For this research, I used the book Universal Methods of Design. In this are 100 methods to design your concept.
Bodystorming is a physical brainstorming technique. It is done by informative performances and active role-play.
Ways to enrich creativity
There are different ways to help your brain think in a creative way and to come up with new and different ideas. These are
- change of environment
- under influence
Our brains get lazy when we get used to certain environments, because you have seen them before and your brain doesn’t register them anymore. When going to a new environment your brain gets active again. Since it has to register all these things it has never seen before. It’s also been proven that different types of music has different effects on our brain. Like classical music helps us to study and music that has the same number of beats as our heart helps us to be active when doing sports. Now some people say that using certain drugs can enhance your creativity. But that is of course the most recommended way to be creative.
After finding these brainstorm methods I decided that it would be best if all of us came up with ten different concepts on our own, so that you could get the most obvious ideas out of your head and that you had the opportunity to think about it without the pressure of other people. Then I chose to apply the normal brainstorms to use the way that we are used to. I also prepared the arbitrary word brainstorm to compare the different brainstorm.
Martin, B., & Hanington, B. (2012). Universal Methods of Design (Herz. ed.). Beverly, USA: Rockport Publishers.
Changing the value of money is our concept. And to make clear how this concept will be translated to the presentation I have made the sketches that you can see below.
The things on the banknotes will be seen through a phone with an augmented reality app.
While the banknote is scanned the image will pop-up and you will hear an explanation of the app.
“Welcome to banknote bingo!
The gameshow that can literally change the value of your banknotes. This is the first truly gameshow where everyone at home can play along for free and have a chance to win huge cash prizes. All you need is a banknote in your wallet.”
“In Banknote Bingo, five contestants will battle it out in four rounds with each nine questions. At the end of every round the person with the highest score is selected. The person with the lowest score will be eliminated. This score will determine a four digit number. This is the amount of money they can win!”
“At home, everybody is watching the show with a banknote in their hands. At the end of the show, the host will press a buzzer that puts the four digits in a random order. Every banknote has it’s own unique number. If any part of that number matches the four digit number that is generated in the show, you win the cash pot. If for example your 20 euro banknote code contains these four numbers, the banknote will increase in value to € 6637,-!”
“Banknote Bingo can be played with a four, five or six digit code. It depends on the budget and time slot of the Broadcaster, all other elements stay the same. Production can control payout by the difficulty of the questions and the offers they make.
Will you be able to change the value of your banknote?”